Be aware of radon gas

1 February 2013 in General

Radon is a colorless odorless, tasteless gas that causes nearly 1,200 deaths a year in Illinois.  The radioactive gas is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers but is preventable.  Health officials recommend residents to test their homes for radon gas.  If test results show levels higher than 4.0 picocuries it is advised to have the gas mitigated to reduce the health risk.

Lena resident Mary Boeke Hill was not surprised to discover in 2009 that her home had a radon problem.
The house had been tested before and failed. Then, when the test was repeated the radon level was even higher. Hill and her husband, Roger, decided it was time to act.

Fixing the problem proved costly as ventilation pipes had to be installed in the basement at a cost of $1,200. Now, though, the basement’s radon level is considered normal and the Hills have peace of mind.
“I’m very pleased with it,” said Mary Boeke Hill. “My husband has built a man cave in the basement. He’s very confident it’s OK.” . . . Continue Reading

Contact us for more information about radon mitigation.

1 February 2013 General

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.